Monday, July 19, 2010

Theatrical Review: Despicable Me (2010)


When I first saw a promo for Illumination Entertainment's Despicable Me last Fall, I was rather baffled. To be honest, the idea of watching a hooked-nose villain and a bunch of yellow minions run around the big screen, especially when a plot line seemed non-existent or hidden at best, was not attractive to me.

As more previews came out, although slightly more humorous in nature, I was still unimpressed with the upcoming film.

When my brothers suggested that we see the movie this weekend, I agreed, but with great reluctance.

But now, after having sat through the easy 95 minute runtime, I've changed my tune. I have to admit, Despicable Me was a much better movie than the previews would suggest. Quirky, and perhaps odd in nature yes, but an entertaining film none-the-less.

Don't let the title and weird promos fool you into not seeing this movie. Although it doesn't reveal itself until a good 15 minutes into the film, there is a plot line, and its actually quite engaging.

The movie opens on a good ole' redneck family from the USA on their family vacation to Egypt. When the couple's son accidentally falls off a high construction platform and plunges towards the neatly stacked rocks of an ancient pyramid and ultimately, what appears to be his death...

...Read more of this review at my official page on Examiner.com.

No comments: